Daily vitamin and mineral supplementation is a new life-long habit after surgery. Even though everyone does their best to choose the most nutritious foods possible, your portion sizes never quite reach a stage where we can be confident that you will receive adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals through food alone. Furthermore, certain bariatric procedures increase the likelihood of nutritional deficiency as they alter the absorption of some nutrients.
Remembering to take your supplements is easier said than done some days however! Read below for our top tips to make sure you get your supplements in everyday!
- Keep supplements on your nightstand to take first thing in the morning.
- Keep them on your desk at work and make this the first thing on your ‘to do’ list at work each morning!
- Keep them in your handbag. This way whenever the thought pops into your head during the day, you can just take them straight away!
- If you find it easier, you can keep your supplements in the bathroom next to your toothbrush and take at night before bed.
- Purchase a water bottle to carry around with you during the day. In morning fill with water and add some Benefibre, to get your fibre in for the day!
- Set a recurring daily alarm on your phone to go off at the same time each day to remind you to take your tablets.
- Stock up on your supplements when you come to see us in clinic so that you never run out. We have a great range including BN Multi in both chewable and the brand new capsule form, both $35, and also the vitamin B12 tablets. Alternatively, you can purchase from our online store!
- If you really struggle taking tablets, please let us know so we can talk about alternatives!
How do you remember to take your supplements daily? We love to hear your feedback and ideas!