Mr. Damien Loh
Oesophago-gastric, General and Bariatric Surgeon
Mr Damien Loh is an Upper Gastrointestinal and General Surgeon, specialising in surgery for disorders of the stomach and oesophagus, and weight loss surgery. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Melbourne and gained his Fellowship in General Surgery in 2012. He subsequently undertook a further three years of specialty training in Upper Gastrointestinal and Bariatric (weight loss) Surgery at various specialist centres around Australia. He currently works as an Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon at The Alfred, and a General Surgeon at The Northern Hospital.
Mr Loh has published in several local and international journals, and presented at local and international meetings and conferences. He has been actively involved in teaching and mentorship of surgical colleagues and allied health staff throughout his career. He is currently a Faculty Instructor of the surgical skills and techniques (ASSET) course at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Mr Loh is a member of the Australia and New Zealand Gastric and Oesophageal Association (ANZGOSA) and the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand (OSSANZ). He was previously a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of Notre Dame in Sydney.
Mr Loh is committed to providing the highest quality surgical service to the community and believes in a thorough, collaborative approach to providing the best possible treatment for your condition.
Damien provides the following services:
Education and Experience
- Upper GI and HPB Surgery Fellow, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney, 2014
- Upper GI Surgery Fellow, St Vincents Hospital, Sydney, 2013
- Upper GI Surgery Fellow, Barwon Health, Geelong, 2012
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2012
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Melbourne University, 2002
- Loh D. Perforated Meckel’s diverticulum caused by faecolith. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2008 Jun; 78(6): 518-519.
- Loh D, Leese T, Anders S. Adult presentation of a congenital duodenal diaphragm. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2010 Mar; 31(5): 654-655.
- Yong TL, Bohmer R, Pande GK, Birks SE, Loh DC, Hewitt PM. Liver resection: a regional hospital experience. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2010 Oct; 80(10): 710-713.
- Ding J, Ting A, Loh D, Leong M, Hair C. Retrieval of bread bag clip from duodenum. Endoscopy, 2013; 45 Suppl 2: E309-310.
- Hodgson R, Loh D, Wardill D, Guest G. Extraperitoneal haemorrhage causing pelvic compartment syndrome. Research, 2014; 1:788.
- Loh DCK, Wilson RB. Endoscopic management of refractory gastrointestinal non-variceal bleeding using Histoacryl (N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate) glue. Gastroenterology Report (2015). doi: 10.1093/gastro/gov019
- Guideline for cervical spine immobilisation in patients who are unable to wear a cervical collar – Trauma 2007, Annual Meeting of the Australasian Trauma Society.
- Guideline for cervical spine immobilisation in patients who are unable to wear a cervical collar – Conjoint ASC 2008, RACS, Hong Kong.
- Guideline for cervical spine immobilisation in patients who are unable to wear a cervical collar – Victorian AGSFM, October 2008.
- Laparoscopic versus open colectomy for colorectal cancer: a 5 year experience – Victorian AGSFM, October 2009.
- Ureteroscope and holmium laser for common bile duct stones (case report and literature review) – Provincial Surgeons of Australia Annual Scientific Conference, November 2012.
- The failed gastric band – ANZGOSA Fellows Weekend, October 2012.
- Liver and pancreas tumours – Gastroenterological Nurses College of Australia Conference, 4th May 2013.
- Endoscopic and Surgical Therapy in Barrett’s High-grade Dysplasia – ANZGOSA Fellows Weekend, October 2013.
- What is the evidence that MDTs improves patient outcomes in HPB/Upper GI cancer? – ANZGOSA Fellows Weekend, October 2014.
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, ASSET Faculty Instructor
- Conjoint Lecturer, University of Notre Dame, Sydney
- Convener, surgical registrar teaching program, Austin Health
Public Hospital Appointments
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, The Alfred
- General Surgeon, The Northern Hospital
- FRACS – fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- ANZGOSA – Australia and New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association
- OSSANZ – Obesity Surgery Society of Australian and New Zealand
- GSA – General Surgeons Australia