Dr. Salena Ward
MBBS, FRACS, MS, PGDipSurgAnatAdjunct Lecturer, Monash University, Oesophago-Gastric, Bariatric and General Surgeon
Melbourne Gastro-Oesophageal and Weight Loss Surgery
Dr Salena Ward is General Surgeon who specialises in surgery of the oesophagus and stomach, including weight loss surgery.
Dr Ward finished Medical School at The University of Melbourne in 2000. Her junior work and surgical training has been at Royal Melbourne Hospital and The Alfred Hospital, then qualified as a surgeon in 2009. She has specialist oesophageal and gastric surgical training at Box Hill Hospital, then in the United Kingdom at Oxford University Hospital, and returned to Australia in 2012 to start consultant work in public and private practice.
She prides herself on excellence in surgical procedures, and also in clinical and patient care. She has a commitment to education and training, involved in the Eastern Health Clinical School and Research Group, and the St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne Surgical Research Group, as well as training medical students and juniors doctors in her public and private hospitals. She completed a Master in Surgery in 2013 through Monash University and is now a supervisor of current students for their Masters in Surgery.
She is also active in the surgical community, and at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, is a Member of the victoria Regional Committee and assists with the Victorian Annual Surgeon’s Meeting in organisation and supporting research submissions. She is an active member of the relevant Australian obesity and oesophago-gastric specialist surgical societies.
Dr Ward consults privately in Box Hill North, Bundoora, Fitzroy and Ringwood East. She operates privately for major surgeries at Epworth Eastern Private Hospital in Box Hill and St Vincent’s Private Hospital in Fitzroy. She believes in a thorough patient consultation, aims to provide timely, comfortable and efficient service to patients in operative and non-operative care, and keeps the patient and their doctors fully informed at all stages of care”
Salena can provide the following procedures:
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- Gastric balloon (via endoscopy)
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, The University of Melbourne, 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma of Surgical Anatomy, Melbourne University Private, 2003
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), General Surgery, 2009
- Specialist Fellowship in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne, 2009-2011
- Specialist Fellowship in Oesophago-Gastric Surgery, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2011-2012
- Click here to see a list of publications, presentations and current research interests.
- Teaching of medical students, junior doctors and training surgical registrars
- Assistant instructor RACS Statistics for Surgeons Workshop
- Assistant instructor RACS Definitive Surgical Trauma Care Course
- Co-ordinator of Upper GI medical students training in Oxford Hospitals, UK
Public Hospital Appointments
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Eastern Health, Box Hill and Maroondah Hospitals, Melbourne
- RACS – Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- ANZGOSA – Australia and New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association
- ANZHPBA – Australia and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- OSSANZ – Obesity Surgery Society of Australian and New Zealand
- GSA – General Surgeons Australia