Mr. Michael Hii
FRACS MBBS BMedSci PGDipSurgAnat
Oesophago-Gastric and Bariatric Surgeon
Mr. Michael Hii is an Oesophago-Gastric and Bariatric (weight loss) surgeon. He works as a consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and the Royal Melbourne Hospital and also holds honorary appointments at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (VCCC) and Eastern Health.
Michael completed medical school at the University of Melbourne and then surgical training at St Vincent’s Hospital and Eastern Health. He was awarded his surgical fellowship in 2009 and underwent subspecialty training in Melbourne and Brisbane.
Michael Hii enjoys a busy clinical workload, and in addition to clinical work, maintains a strong interest in research and education. He is a clinical senior fellow at the University of Melbourne. He chairs the St Vincent’s Upper GI and Hepatobiliary research group and is the supervisor of Pre-SET (surgical training) at St Vincent’s Hospital. He has published widely in Upper GI and bariatric literature.
Mr. Hii's clinical areas of interest include the treatment of oesophageal and gastric cancer, hiatus hernia repair, anti-reflux surgery, surgery for achalasia and obesity surgery (including gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and revision procedures). Research areas of interest include enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) programs and optimising changes in muscle mass/ body composition with upper GI conditions and surgery.
- Click here to see a list of publications, presentations and current research interests.
- Michael Hii and the team at Melbourne Gastro Oesophageal Surgery team are extensively involved in research ensuring patients receive the most up to date and effective treatments.
- Senior lecturer, The University of Melbourne (2017 - ongoing)
- Surgical lead, University of Melbourne (2017 - ongoing)
- Supervisor of Pre-SET (surgical training) at St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne (2016 - ongoing)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, ASSET course instructor 2012 – ongoing
- Melbourne University, Honorary Clinical Lecturer 2012 – ongoing
- University of Queensland, Senior Lecturer 2012 – ongoing
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Surgical Convenor, Advanced Surgical Training Program Registrar Lecture Series 2009 – 2010
- Eastern Health, Surgical Convenor, Surgical registrar teaching program 2009
- Eastern Health, Lecturer to medical students and interns 2009
- Department of Anatomy, Melbourne University Medical School, Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology Tutor 2005
Public Hospital Appointments
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, St Vincents Health, Melbourne
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Eastern Health, Melbourne (Honorary appointment)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Peter Macallum Cancer Institute (Honorary appointment)
- FRACS – fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- ANZGOSA – Australia and New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association
- ANZHPBA – Australia and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- OSSANZ – Obesity Surgery Society of Australian and New Zealand
- ACMAV – Australian Chinese Medical Association of Victoria
- AMA – Australian Medical Association
- GSA – General Surgeons Australia
Education and Experience
- Oesophago-Gastric surgery fellow, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, 2011-2012
- Obesity surgery fellow, Royal Brisbane and Womens’ Hospital, Brisbane, 2011
- Upper GI and HPB fellow, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, 2010
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), General Surgery, 2009
- Post Graduate Diploma of Surgical Anatomy, Melbourne University Private, 2005
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Melbourne University, 2000
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Melbourne University, 2000