At Melbourne Weight Loss Surgery, our team believe that evidence based practice and participation in surgical research are important in offering the most up to date and effective care for patients.
Below are listed the publications, presentations and current research interests of our surgeons.
Mr Michael Hii
- Hii MW, Gibson RN, Speer AG, Collier NA, Sherson N, Jardine C. The role of radiology in the treatment of malignant hilar biliary strictures 2: 10 years of single institution experience with percutaneous treatment. Australas Radiol. 2003 Dec; 47(4): 393 – 403.
- Hii MW, Gibson RN. Role of radiology in the treatment of malignant hilar biliary strictures 1: Review of the literature. Australas Radiol. 2004 Mar; 48(1): 3 – 13. Review.
- Hii MW, Firkin F, MacIsaac A, Yii M. Obstructive prosthetic mitral valve thrombosis in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome: A case report and review of the literature. Journal of Heart Valve Disease 2006. Sep 15(5): 721 – 725.
- Hii MW, Fox AM, Cade RJ. Laparoscopy-assisted percutaneous-endoscopic gastrostomy tube insertion. ANZ J Surg. 2008. Nov;78(11):1047.
- Barrett K, Hii MW, Cade RJ. Benign gastro colic fistula in a woman presenting with weight loss and intermittent vomiting: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2011 Jul 14;5(1):313
- Hii MW, Gyorki DE, Sakata K, Cade RJ, Banting SW. Endoscopic management of post cholecystectomy biliary fistula. HPB (Oxford). 2011 Oct: 13(10): 669 – 705
- Gyorki DE, Clarke NE, Hii MW, Banting SW, Cade RJ. Management of synchronous tumours of the oesophagus and pancreatic head: a novel approach. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011 Sep;93(6): 111-3
- Hii MW, Hopkins GH. Gastro-gastric herniation. An unusual complication following greater curve plication for the treatment of morbid obesity. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012 Mar;94(2):e76-8.
- Hii MW, Lake AC, Kenfield C, Hopkins GH. Laparoscopic conversion of failed gastric banding to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Short-term follow-up and technical considerations. Obes. Surg. 2012, Jan 16
- Hii MW, Smithers BM, Gotley DC, Thomas JM, Thomson I, Martin I, Barbour AP. Long term survival after oesophagectomy – the impact of post operative morbidity. Br J Surg. 2012 Jan;100(1):95-104. doi: 10.1002/bjs.8973. Epub 2012 Nov 12
- Cade RJ, Fox AM, Fahy ET, Hii MW. Prevention of Barrett's metaplasia in a human model of duodenogastro-oesophageal reflux. Gastroenterology Insights. 2013, Vol 5, No 1. 12 – 15
- Walker DM, Hii MW, Skinner CE, Hopkins GH. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass after successful weight loss with laparoscopic adjustable gastric band: rationales and early outcomes in patients of body mass index < 35kg/m2. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014 Nov-Dec;10(6):1104-8
- Punwani VV, Ong E, Hii MW. Cervical diverticulitis: a novel complication of a neonatal colonic interposition graft following oesophagectomy. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Sep 9;2015
- Edward K, Hii MW, Giandinoto, J, Hennessy, J & Thompson, L (accepted 13-1-16). Personal descriptions of life after bariatric surgery from overweight or obese men, American Journal of Men’s Health. 2016, Feb 4
- Crispin MD, Chan KJ, Winter N, Hii M. Esophageal apoplexy, J Gastrointestinal Surg. 2016 Aug 20 (8): 1535 – 6
- Chan KJ, Smithers BM, Hii MW. Giant hiatus hernia and association with gastro-oesophageal reflux: A Review. J Clinical Gastroenterology and Treatment. 2017 3 (2): Open access
- Granek RJ, Hii MW, Ward SM. Major Gastric Haemorrhage After Intragastric Balloon Insertion: Case Report. OBES SURG (2017).
- MW, Hii BW, Hopkins GH. Laparoscopic conversion of failed gastric banding to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Short-term follow up and technical considerations; World Congress of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders - IFSO, Hamburg 2011
- Cade RJ, Fox AM, Hii MW. The development of neo-Barrett’s oesophagus after oesophagogastrectomy. The influence of proton pump inhibitor therapy; ISDE Venice 2012
- Daniel ES, Punwani V, Ong EJ, Hii M. Cervical diverticulitis: a novel complication of neonatal colonic interposition graft following oesophagectomy. Asia Pacific Federation of Coloprotology Congress 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Crispin M, Chan K, Winter N, Hii MW. Oesophageal apoplexy: an overview, two case reports, and a systematic review of the literature. Poster ID: 30736; Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Annual Scientific Congress 2016
- Riddell S, Rodda O, Hii M. Impact of the Generic Surgical Sciences Exam on the Quality of Life of Surgical Residents: A Pilot Study. Urology Society of Australia and New Zealand Victorian Section Meeting 2017
- Rodda O, Riddell S, Hii M. Impact of the Generic Surgical Sciences Exam on the Quality of Life of Surgical Residents: A Pilot Study. 59th Victorian Annual Surgical Meeting, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Current research interests:
- Health related quality of life after oesophageal cancer surgery
- Outcomes after revision bariatric surgery
- Effectiveness of hiatal hernia repair
- Effectiveness of anti reflux surgery
- Novel bariatric procedures
Dr Salena Ward
Ward SM, Mobsby CJ, Wilkinson S. Capsule endoscopy: a surgical perspective. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Jan-Feb;78(1-2):28-33
Huang JG, Lim W, Ward SM, McLaughlin SJ. Education and Imaging. Hepatobiliary and pancreatic: splenic autotransplantation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Jul;23(7 Pt 1):1662
Pilgrim CH, Satgunaseelan L, Ward SM, Evans PM. Gallbladder carcinoma as a long-term complication of cholecystojejunostomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009 Dec; 13(12):2330-2
- Annual Scientific Meeting, Tasmanian State Committee, RACS. Oct 2005
- Ward SM, Mobsby CJ, Wilkinson S. “Capsule Endoscopy: The Tasmanian General Surgical Experience.” Oral Presentation
- Annual Scientific Meeting, Victorian State Committee, RACS. Nov 2006
- Ward SM. “Operative Assessment: Is it appendicitis or not?” Poster display.
- Annual Courses in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Austin Health & The University of Melbourne. Melbourne, Australia. Sep 2008
- “Choledocholithiasis post bile duct reconstruction.” Case presentation
- ANGZOSA/ANHPBA Annual Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand. Sep 2010
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. “Pancreatic Exocrine Function post Oesophagetomy, Gastrectomy and Pancreato-duodenectomy.” Oral presentation
- Annual Scientific Congress, RACS, Hong Kong. May 2008
- Ward SM, McLaughlin S. “Colonscopy: Do Surgeons Do It Better?” Oral presentation
- European Pancreatic Conference, Stockholm, Sweden. June 2010
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. “Pancreatic Exocrine Function post Oesophagectomy, Gastrectomy and pancreato-duodenectomy. Oral poster presentation + electronic poster display
- European Pancreatic Conference, Magdeburg, Germany. June 2011
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. “Pancreatic Exocrine Function measured post Major Upper Gastrointestinal Resections.” Oral Presentation
- DDF / AUGIS Conference, Liverpool, United Kingdom, June 2012
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. “Pancreatic Exocrine Function after Major Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery tested with a Carbon 13 Mixed Triglyceride Breath Test.” Poster Display
Current Research Interests:
- Topic: Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency Post Gastrectomy, Oesophagectomy and Pancreato-duodenectomy
Completed Higher Degree
- Topic: Completed a Master of Surgery at Monash University
Involved in the beginning of a randomised controlled trial: Oral pancreatic enzyme supplementation vs placebo in patients post oesophagectomy, gastrectomy and pancreato-duodenectomy.
Consultant Supervisor at the Eastern Health Surgical Research Group, supporting research projects by colleagues, junior doctors and medical students.
Mr Matthew Read
- Read MD, Krishnadath KK, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA. Preclinical models for the study of Barrett's carcinogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2018 Jul 5. doi: 10.1111/nyas.13916.
- David S. Liu, Cuong P. Duong, Sue Haupt, Karen G. Montgomery, Colin M. House, Walid J. Azar, Helen B. Pearson, Oliver M. Fisher, Matthew Read, Glen R. Guerra, Ygal Haupt, Carleen Cullinane, Klas G. Wiman, Lars Abrahmsen, Wayne A. Phillips & Nicholas J. Clemons. Inhibiting the system xC/glutathione axis selectively targets cancers with mutant-p53 accumulation. Nature Communications 2017. DOI: 10.1038/NCOMMS14844.
- Liu DS, Hoefnagel SJ, Fisher OM, Krishnadath KK, Montgomery KG, Busuttil RA, Colebatch AJ, Read M, Duong CP, Phillips WA, Clemons NJ. Novel metastatic models of esophageal adenocarcinoma derived from FLO-1 cells highlight the importance of E-cadherin in cancer metastasis. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec 13;7(50).
- Liu DS, Read M, Cullinane C, et al. APR-246 potently inhibits tumour growth and overcomes chemoresistance in preclinical models of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Gut 2015. DOI: 10.1136/gutjnl-2015-309770.
- Read M, Liu D, Duong CP, Cullinane C, Murray W, Fennell C, Shortt J, Westerman D, Burton P, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA. Intra-muscular transplantation improves engraftment rates for esophageal patient-derived tumor xenografts. Annal of Surg Onc. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-015-4425-3.
- M Read. Barrett’s Oesophagus. ANZGOSA Training Day, Melbourne, 2019.
- M Read. Surgical Academia. SUGGS Meeting, Sydney, 2017.
- M Read, A Correia, D Liu, D Straub, N Clemons, C Duong, K.K. Krishnadath & W Phillips. Reversing Barrett’s Metaplasia in a Novel Organoid Model. Combined ANZGOSA / SUGGS Meeting, Sydney, 2016.
- M Read, S Calpe, D Liu, D Straub, N Clemons, C Duong, K.K. Krishnadath & W Phillips. Targeting the BMP pathway in Barrett’s carcinogenesis for molecular imaging & therapeutics. General Surgeons Australia, Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, 2015.
- Matthew Read, David Liu, Nicholas Clemons, Christina Fennell, Cuong Duong & Wayne Phillips. A novel xenograft model for investigating Barrett’s carcinogenesis. Australian Health and Medical Research Congress, Melbourne, Australia. 2014.
- Matthew Read, Nicholas Clemons, Christina Fennell, Cuong Duong & Wayne Phillips. Patient derived tumour xenografts and the development of personalized medicine in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Combined IsDEAS & ANZGOSA Meeting, Melbourne. 2013.
- M Read. Oesophageal Cancer. ANZGOSA Meeting, Wellington, 2018.
- M. Read .Esophageal Stem Cells (Invited Talk). OESO, Geneva, 2017.
- M. Read, A. Correia, S. Calpe, N. Clemons, D. Liu, W.A. Phillips, K.K. Krishnadath. Remodeling Barrett’s Metaplasia in a Novel In Vivo Organoid Model. Digestive Diseases Week, Chicago, 2017.
- M. Read, Krishnadath KK, Liu DSH, Duong CP, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA*. A novel xenograft model of human Barrett’s esophagus. Digestive Diseases Week, San Diego, 2016.
- Phillips WA, Read M, Liu D, Fennel C, Duong C, Clemons N. Patient Derived Tumor Xenografts: Preclinical Models for Personalising Therapy for Esophageal Cancers. 14th World Congress of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, Vancouver, Canada. Abstract published in Diseases of the Esophagus. 2014; 27 (Supp): 64A.
- M Read, D Liu, MP Bernardi, C Duong, N Clemons, W Phillips. A novel pre-clinical model for the study of Barrett’s oesophagus. Annual Scientific Congress of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Singapore. 2014. Abstract published in ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2014; 84: 209.
- Matthew Read, Nicholas Clemons, Wayne Phillips, Christina Fennell & Cuong Duong. An improved xenograft model for testing novel therapies in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Annual Scientific Congress of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Auckland. 2013. Abstract published in ANZ J. Surg. 2013; 83 (Suppl. 1) 98-104.
- Read, M., Croagh, D., Clemons, N. J., Fennell, C., Duong, C., Phillips, W. A. Developing a novel in vivo tissue reconstitution system for the study of Barrett’s oesophagus. 13th World Congress of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, Venice, Italy (oral presentation). Abstract published in Diseases of the Esophagus. 2012; 25 (Supp.1): 57A.
Current research interests:
- Basic biology of Barrett’s oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma
- Development of novel treatments for Barrett’s oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma
- Development of clinical guidelines for upper gastrointestinal conditions (OESO)
- Developing a robotic upper gastrointestinal surgical program
- Outcomes following fundoplication in lung transplant recipients