Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
- Quality of life: weight loss improves quality of life by reducing co-morbidities, disease prevalence, medication use, increasing activity and improving self-esteem.
- High blood pressure: is a major cause of heart attack, stroke and other life threatening disorders. Substantial weight loss can assit to lower your blood pressure and your need for medication with potential to cease use.
- Diabetes: is an extremely destructive disease and can increase risk of diseases including; heart attack, stroke, vision problems, kidney failure and vascular disease. Weight loss can improve your diabetic management and reduce insulin dependence.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea: significant weight loss can improve sleep, energy levels and reduce snoring. People who rely on CPAP may be able to reduce or cease use with medical guidance.
- Exercise: weight loss increases your ability to exercise, improves mobility and increases energy levels. An increase in muscle furthers weight loss and encourages a healthier lifestyle.
- High cholesterol levels: are a major risk factor for vascular disease. Your cholesterol an be reduced to a safer level and your need for medication may also reduce.
- Heart disease and heart function: weight loss reduces strain and work load on the heart. It decreases risk of adverse events, such as a heart attack.
- Osteoarthritis: weight loss reduces strain on the bodies joints, reducing discomfort and pain associated with osteoarthritis. This allows people to be more active, enjoy exercise and engage in healthy living.
- Self-esteem: many patients find that losing weight increases their self-esteem. Patients have reported an increase in self confidence and feeling more comfortable engaging in social activites.